Friday, March 20, 2009

It's Always in the Last Place You Look

When you're searching for something, it's always in the last place you look.

Not that it's in the last place you would look, but that it's in the last place you do look, because after you find the object you usually stop looking.

The kingdom of God isn't like that, though. Seeking it out is a lifelong process -- I mean, there's more there than we could possibly learn in the natural course of time itself -- so in times of success, when you've reached for the kingdom and have found it and connected with it, and with Him, just keep reminding yourself:

Don't stop seeking; for the kingdom of God is not your car keys.

The thing about the kingdom is that if you seek it out, find it, and feel that point is an endpoint, then you've not found the real thing. Seeing, approaching, touching, and even walking in the kingdom of God should always make you hungry for more.

Just as in good science -- where the questions raised by each significant discovery will far outnumber the original questions that led to the discovery itself -- the more you see in the kingdom of God, the more you'll see there is to hunger for, and thus your hunger multiplies in being fed.

And with this increased hunger comes the potential for so many more ways of having that hunger satisfied. Remember Luke 12:32 (ESV),

Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure
to give you the kingdom.


Take a minute to digest that one. When you seek the kingdom and find it, you. give God. pleasure. Think about how huge that is. So many times when I'm thinking or praying I think if only I could know without a doubt that, through all my efforts, I'd pleased Him for just one moment, that would be food for my soul for the rest of my life; that's all I would ever need.

Knowing that would be ammunition enough to blow away the evil ones that still try to come and dwell with me and convince me to destroy myself. It would sustain me through the "dry spells," the seasons in which I might not be able to get as close to Him as I'd like.

It would be an existence proof! In logic, an existence proof means that once you prove that something can be done, you then have to consider it as a possibility (a possible reason, a possible cause, a possible diagnosis, a possible explanation, or just possible to do) in everything you do from then on. If you can observe an instance of a thing, then you've proven that something in that category of things can exist, because it existed at least once: even the category itself does exist, even if it just contains that one instance, but it opens up the realm of possibility that other things might also exist in that category.

If I had an existence proof that I'd pleased God once, then two things happen: first, I can celebrate that one occurrence because it existed and secondly, knowing that it's possible provides encouragement for me to try to repeat the experience and please Him many times.

So seek, find, rejoice, take courage, repeat.
Amen!


Post a public comment below or privately email karyos@rocketmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. this is a really good post. And was very helpful to me. Thank you. Good writing.

    ReplyDelete